Shirley Robertson, double Olympic champion, presenter of CNN’s Mainsail and member of the jury for the 2018 Mirabaud Sailing Video Award, tells us about film making in the sailing industry.
• What is the most important aspect in a video according to you ?
• What did you think of MSVA’s 2018 videos ?
The 2018 nominees were really diverse both in terms of content but also production values, it’s hard to compare, but many felt really fresh and held the audience - I was impressed.
• Is there anything you’re tired of seeing in videos ?
Overused slo-mo. And really fast cuts, my brain can’t keep up!
• Is there something you would really like to see more in videos?
I like to feel emotion, get a real sense of jeopardy or genuine excitement. I enjoy watching when I get a sense of being on the inside looking out not observing what’s going on.
• If you should give one advice to the 2019 participants, what would it be ?
A strong story is the most important thing.